Sunday 12 August 2012

Don't cheap out on your health

A few weeks ago, my family recovered from a nasty case of kiddie germs: My daughter got the flu (I know, it's not even flu season!); I got her flu, then strep throat and then side effects from the antibiotics; then my husband had some throat thing happening.

Although I initially felt like I wasted most of July thanks to sickness, I did learn a new baby-saving lesson: Sometimes you need to cough up the dough for better health.

My daughter didn't need antibiotics, however, she did have some sniffles. I got her Coryzalia Cold (by Boiron) for $12.99 (30 doses) at Walmart. But I got a lucky break here because I usually see this product at health stores for around $16.99. She wasn't in the mood to eat or drink either (and she was throwing up, ew), so we got popsicles for her, which were about $5 for a pack of 24 (sorry, I don't remember the brand or exact details here!).

As for myself, here was my get-well shopping list:

Exact Cough Lozenges (30 pack) x 4 = approx. $8
Penicillin prescription (30 pills) x 1 = approx. $5 (we have health insurance, thank goodness!)
Chloraseptic Throat Spray x 1 = approx. $12

Thankfully, my husband caught his germs at an early stage and was able to use my leftover cough lozenges.

So looking back at what we spent, actually it wasn't all that bad. But when you are living on a tight family budget, an extra $30 can throw you off big time. If we didn't spend that money on health costs though, it would've affected our well-being. I was using up to 30 lozenges a day (otherwise my throat would've felt razor blades!), so those lozenges made a HUGE difference in daily coping.

So folks, here's today's lesson:
  • If you need to spend money on your health, don't feel guilty. You need it to take care of your little ones and yourself!
  • If you are on a budget, I found that Walmart and Superstore had effective products at decent prices.
  • Lastly, try not to put off seeing a doctor/walk-in clinic! I waited over a day and thinking back, I probably should've seen a doctor earlier. I just thought I could deal with the throat pain. Boy, was I wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment