Tuesday 1 January 2013

A New Parent's New Year's Resolution

So I have a New Year's resolution that sounds simple but it's actually pretty hard to achieve:Carve out more "me" time. 

As a stay-at-home-mom who also works from home, I get pretty wrapped up in toddler things or stuff written on my to-do list. So when people ask me, "what do you like to do in your spare time?" I fumble in answering this question. In fact, I started my New Year's resolution a little early – in December 2012, my husband and I have tried to take at least one hour a day to do something we individually enjoy. He does his squash thing, I read a novel or watch some TV. Of course, we do have our family nights a few times a week, where we enjoy our daughter together by going to the mall, visiting the library, etc.

The point is, we know we're parents and we know we want to take care of our children. But our precious "alone time" also rejuvenates the spirit and our happiness. And we need this.

If you're a new mom or dad who's hesitant about taking that "me" time, don't worry, all new parents feel the same way. I totally get it – you don't want to be away from your baby "just in case." So here's my tip: Take your "me" time little by little each day. Go for a walk for 15 minutes, come back home. Go shopping for 30 minutes the next time, come back home. You will feel less and less guilty, trust me. And each time you get your "moment," you will feel like a refreshed, new person.




No comments:

Post a Comment